Butte County Air Quality Management District
629 Entler Avenue, Suite 15
Chico, CA 95928
(530) 332-9400

Outdoor Residential Burning

Outdoor Residential Burn Line:
530-332-9407 or toll free 855-332-9407

For Paradise burn information, call Paradise Fire at 872-6206.

CalFire/Butte County Fire lifts Burn Ban for Residential Dooryard Burning in Butte County, effective October 27, 2014.

- see Press Release for more information.

Burn Map Designations for Magalia and Chico (effective March 1, 2011)

Alternatives to Burning: 
Waste Management:  Information Online    or    Call (530) 893-4777
Recology:  Information Online    or    Call (530) 533-5868
Northern Recycling and Waste Services: Information Online    or   Call (530) 876-3340 

Free Chipper Program The Butte County Fire Safe Council has a free chipping program for Butte County Residents.  For information, please call the Fire Safe Council at 877-0984 or click here: Chipper Program.

Outdoor Residential Burning: New open burning regulations establish year-round burn hours, drying times, and other requirements became effective March 1, 2011.  The Residential Open Burning Fact sheet contains information about regulations on residential open burning on lots less than one acre in size.  The Fire Hazard Reduction Burning Fact Sheet contains information about regulations on open burning conducted at multi-unit dwellings, by commercial entities, and on lots of one acre or greater in size.

Butte County Fire Safe Council is also offering a Residents Assistance Program in preparation for Fire Season.

Before You Burn: 

  • Telephone your local air district to find out if it is a "burn day"
  • All fires must be attended by a responsible adult until the fire is dead out
  • Only burn if you have adequate clearance from any other combustibles
  • Adequate water must be available at the burn site 

What to Burn:

  • Only burn vegetative waste grown on the property
  • Vegetation must be dry and free of dirt
  • Burn barrels are illegal. Exemptions apply to specific areas, contact your local air district for more information
  • It is illegal to burn any non-vegetative material, including, but not limited to garbage, paper, cardboard, any dimensional lumber, tires, construction materials, plastic, rubber, paint, bedding or furniture.

When to Burn:

  • All outdoor residential burning is prohibited during fire season in Cal-Fire areas
  • Contact your local fire agency for specific burn hours and regulations: a fire department burn permit may be required
  • Smoke is air pollution and can pose a serious threat to human respiratory systems
  • Do not burn if wind speed is measured to be greater than 10 miles per hour
  • Do not burn when your smoke will impact others: you are responsible for your smoke's impact 

NorCal Waste Systems of Butte County, now called Recology, located at 2720 S. 5th Avenue in Oroville, accepts green waste between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday.  A fee of $6.00 is charged.  The facility also accepts a wide range of recycling material, including, but not limited to paper, cardboard, aluminum and plastic and offers "Buyback CRV." For more information, call 533-5868.